5.26.2011

3rd Grade: Australian Dot Painting


Pretty simple project, and students get really into it!  First we talk a little about the history of Australian dreamtime painting and Aboriginal art.  Next we talk about how we could make it our own.  Students trace their hand with pencil onto black 8x8 paper.  They begin by choosing 3 colors of paint and use those for the hand.  We dot paint with the back of a paintbrush.  Next day when the hands are dry, students draw a simple background design with pencil and use white tempera for the designs dots.  Finally they choose a background color, that is different from their other colors, and fill in the rest of the space.  This was a nice end of the year project- the students were very quiet and determined while concentrating on their dotting! And the phrase I always love hearing...as other grade levels spotted these on my drying rack, "When do WE get to do that?!?!" :)












7 comments:

  1. Really nice! Before I read the whole post, I was trying to figure out how you made the dots - pencil erasers came to mind, and then I came up with the idea to use mini marshmallows as stampers! Maybe stick them on the end of a wooden skewer or craft pick? You said the dots were made with the end of a brush - but the dots look pretty big for that. What kind of brush made such a nice dot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great project idea. The erasers are a great idea too. So many techniques to use! Depending on the size of the end of the brush, this will vary your size of dot. I use this method myself with my art students. I would also find simple Australian Aboriginal symbols for them to choose from and would stress that they cover the entire paper with varied colored dots. I plan to use this as a project for my Black history month unit for one of my grades. I would include photos of the people, a map of the country and one of the US and our state so that students can easily identify with what they are learning.

      Delete
  2. Kristin, these turned out awesome! I love the bright colors and designs your students chose! A suggestion for the dots, Phyl was right about the pencil erasers. That is what we use to do our dots, q-tips also work great! Although your paintings look so nice, you can stick with what works! Jessica
    smartypantsjohnston.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across your blog. I am a brand spanking new art teacher and your ideas are a great help! All your links too! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kristin,

    Sorry for the unrelated comment, but I couldn't find any contact info for you on the blog, and I'd like to ask you about a guest post. Please drop me an e-mail!

    Thanks,

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful art work.
    I like the balance and the texture of the compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristin, I borrowed this wonderful idea and am currently working on it with my 3rd graders. I will be sure to share some photos when it is complete. Do you mind if I borrow a photo from your blog until my students are complete?

    ReplyDelete