12.08.2010

4th Grade: Paul Klee "Castle & Sun" Drawing

For this project I began by showing a PowerPoint about Paul Klee, discussing several works art that had geometric shapes and suns or moons.  I had circle templates of all sizes for them to pick from, and began by tracing either a sun or moon on black construction paper with white colored pencil.  Then, using the white colored pencil and a ruler, they began making their buildings.  They had to incorporate as many geometric shapes and patterns as they could.  I gave them the option of drawing either a castle or a group of skyscrapers (a little contemporary twist).  Being from the Chicago suburbs, many students chose to draw the Sears Tower in their picture. :)  Once their drawings were complete, they began coloring in shapes with oil pastels, and the last step was to outline every shape with a black oil pastel.  Their creativity on this projected really exceeded my expectations!  Here is a variation of this project from Dali's Moustache: http://dalimoustache.blogspot.com/2010/05/paul-klee-castle-and-sun.html












5 comments:

  1. Very nice! I like the contrast the black oil pastel adds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where was this lesson when I needed one more project for the art element of shape? Great work here and I love the challenge it presents the students to put in as many geometric shapes as possible. Always looking to enhance the creative thinking skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look amazing! i did a similar project focusing on warm & cool colors, geometric shapes, and patterns. based on the artist rob dunlavey.

    http://zamoranoarts.blogspot.com/2010/09/if-i-could-make-castle.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are SO beautiful - I wouldn't want to give them back to the kids! I did a project based on this Klee painting too:
    http://useyourcolouredpencils.blogspot.com/2010/11/paul-klee-style-collages.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! Love your version too! Thanks for linking me :]

    ReplyDelete