11.24.2010

3rd Grade: Jasper Johns Flag


This was another Veteran's Day project that I am posting a little late, but it could be done anytime really.  After showing several images of American flags painted various ways by Jasper Johns, we talked about how artists don't always paint on canvases.  I printed out the words to the Pledge of Allegiance, My Country Tis of Thee, America the Beautiful, and The Star Spangled Banner.  They began by drawing a rectangle in the corner of their paper with pencil, using a ruler.  Then they filled the entire background of their paper with warm colors only (except they weren't allowed to go inside the rectangle).  After they had covered the whole background, they sponge painted the rectangle blue, and then used a thin paintbrush to paint white stripes. Finally, they added little white dots, representing the stars. 









5 comments:

  1. These are great!! Just love how you incorporated Jasper Johns!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a super cool project. I love Jasper Johns! Must try these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these a lot. Might use them for an artwork during the election.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what kind of paint did you use? Did you print the songs on card stock or regular paper? Thanks! Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the inspiration...I am teaching my youth art class about Jasper tonight.

    ReplyDelete