11.10.2010

1st Grade: Veteran's Day Mixed Media


Meant to post these sooner! For this project, I showed some pictures from Eric Carle's Draw Me A Star. First day we painted paper and used the back of the brush to get some designs.  Second day we cut up our paper and collaged onto a big square white paper.  Then, we flipped the paper over and drew a star on the back (blank side), and cut it out. Finally we glued the star onto black paper, and used oil pastels to think of patriotic images, words, phrases, songs, etc.









9 comments:

  1. These are GREAT! Did you have a guideline for helping kids figure out how to cut a big star with all 5 points??

    ReplyDelete
  2. To make the star, they followed step by step with me (mine was up on my marker board) 1.) Make a dot in the very lower left corner of the paper, 2.) Make a dot in the top center of the paper, 3.) Connect the dots, 4) Make a dot in the lower right corner (then connect dots), 5.) Make a dot in the middle left and connect dots, 6.) Make a dot in the middle right and connect dots, and finally connect the last dot...hope that made sense! The stars all turned out different with this method, which I loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to save this project (and the Jasper Johns flag one also) and come back to them for Flag Day. I like your approach, and how you drew the stars.

    ReplyDelete