11.24.2010

1st Grade: Jasper Johns Abstract Names


This was a great 2 day art lesson for my 1st graders.  We began by folding a 12x18" white paper 4 times and opening it up to get 16 rectangles.  I demonstrated how to use the letters of my name to fill up the entire space of each rectangle ( some got it!) They used oil pastels to create a bug chunky letter and then kept repeating the letters in their name until the last rectangle.  Then we used watercolors to fill in the rest of the white spaces.  Some of the messier ones are my favorites! :)










3 comments:

  1. I found your blog through Pinterest, Love this, and following! I am a 15 year veteran of elementary visual arts and looking for new, interesting and fun art projects to excite my kiddos even more within my classes. I am so excited to try this one out with my 1st graders :) Thank you!! LE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin! I`m a going to use your wonderful art lesson about abstract names. My question to you is, when you show kids how to fill in the letters do you explain that they are supposed to write all the letters in their names in a mix way before the start to put in their letters again in a mix way? Is it supposed to be a puzzle of letters where they with skills could see each others name if they puzzle it in the right way? Thanks for great art lessons

    ReplyDelete