This project is finally complete and I am very happy with the results! I began by showing a powerpoint presentation on Chuck Close and his style of work. That same day I photographed each student casually as they were working at their seat in their sketchbooks. I used http://www.dumpr.net/ to turn their photo into a sketch and printed them out. Students outlined the major lines of their face with sharpie, then used a light box to transfer it onto a blank piece of 9x12 construction paper, again in sharpie. Next step is to draw a 1"x1" grid over the top of their portrait with a ruler and pencil, covering the entire page. In each box, with a pencil they drew a simple design, pattern, or object. Finally they used colored pencils to color in their designs. For each section (background, hair, skin, and clothes) they had to use a different 2-color combo. They did a wonderful job with these and were very proud of them!
3.04.2011
6th Grade: Chuck Close Self-Portraits
This project is finally complete and I am very happy with the results! I began by showing a powerpoint presentation on Chuck Close and his style of work. That same day I photographed each student casually as they were working at their seat in their sketchbooks. I used http://www.dumpr.net/ to turn their photo into a sketch and printed them out. Students outlined the major lines of their face with sharpie, then used a light box to transfer it onto a blank piece of 9x12 construction paper, again in sharpie. Next step is to draw a 1"x1" grid over the top of their portrait with a ruler and pencil, covering the entire page. In each box, with a pencil they drew a simple design, pattern, or object. Finally they used colored pencils to color in their designs. For each section (background, hair, skin, and clothes) they had to use a different 2-color combo. They did a wonderful job with these and were very proud of them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










These came out great! I was just reading about Chuck Close in the scholastics brochure. Super project!
ReplyDeleteWhauw these are fabulous!!
ReplyDeleteVery nicely done...Bet your kids loved these!
ReplyDeleteThese look great! I wanted to do a portrait project with a twist for more older elementary students. I think I've found it. Thanks!
ReplyDeletethis is awesome, quick question…How did you teach the kids about different face angles? I have fifth graders and we are doing portraits.
ReplyDeleteChris
thanks! The angles are just created by the way I photographed them...I walked around the room as they were sitting in their seats and turned my camera at slight angles when photographing to get a variety of angles. When they transfer their picture, they are just tracing it as it is...Hope that helps!
ReplyDeleteThis is so helpful! Thank you. Thank you for sharing!
DeleteThanks Kristin, I just realized that you wrote very specific "how to" instructions below your post (I was too excited to notice I guess).
ReplyDeleteAwesome, you should be very proud of yourself and your students!
ReplyDeleteI am planning to "steal" your lesson and try it with my 5th graders. I hope you don't mind, but I have created a post on my blog about finding this lesson, and have included the name of your blog and the link to it as well.
ReplyDeleteLove it! I found this on Janet's blog, tee hee. I am slightly obsessed with portrait projects... can't wait to give this one a try!
ReplyDeleteHi there... You've been walloped by the wand of the Art Fairy! I loved this tutorial so much that it made the Weekly Top Twenty at the Art Fairy. Stop by an pick up a button if you get a chance.
ReplyDeleteI loved doing this project with my 6th graders and they were pretty impressed with themselves for what they completed. Thanks so much for the inspiration! I posted a few of my students finshed portraits here: http://spotofcolor.blogspot.com/2012/01/6th-grade-chuck-close-inspired-self.html
ReplyDeleteThanks again!
These are sensational! I LOVE them and my students will really enjoy it, even those that find art difficult. I can't wait to try them with my class. Thanks :-)
ReplyDeleteThese are awesome! Thanks for the terrific tutorial! I've done Close-style portraits before, but this is a whole new take!
ReplyDeleteJust posted on my blog about this and linked to yours here: http://sjsartstudio.blogspot.com/2013/02/pop-art-hero-portraits.html. The kids are loving this! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThese are stunning! Thank you so much for the tutorial. I would love to try this. Absolutely Fine Beautiful Work!
ReplyDelete