This was a fun project for my students. We spent one day learning a little history on the kimono, and I talked about how kimono designers get to choose colors and fabrics when designing these beautiful and functional works of art. That same day, students printed designs on 2 different pieces of paper (9x12 white construction paper). They used tempera paint and sponges to cover their chosen texture plate and then printed the plate right onto the paper. The second day, we cut the printed papers into strips and they picked out more construction paper to weave their strips through. The kimono is just two different woven rectangles glued together and the seam is covered with the "obi" or sash. They embellished the sash with ribbon, and the last day they created a "hanko" or stamp with the characters of their name in Japanese kanji (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji) or katakana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana). All of our dual language students at my school luckily already knew how to write their names in Japanese, which made it easier- but that would be a fun lesson to teach as well! I did all of the stamping at a printing station (using red ink and a brayer) once they carved their names into the styrofoam.










I really like how you had the kids texture the paper first. I did the chops with students when we did sumi-e painting. I used a website that would translate their names. I think it is neat you had them translate.
ReplyDeleteI really like the weaving in the kimonos! So very creative! :)
ReplyDeleteGorgeous!
ReplyDeleteI love how you incorporated the weaving into something else. jan
ReplyDeletethese look really fun! i'm sure the kids loved doing this!! :)
ReplyDeleteThese are really great! I am so glad I came across your blog!
ReplyDeleteI love these! We homeschool and don't have texture plates, but made potato stamps. The kids kept saying how much fun they thought this was. Thank you for sharing your idea!
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful project!! I hope I can squeeze it in before the year is over.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Can you give some pointers about the paper dimensions?? I'd love to know more specifics on the "how-to's"
ReplyDeleteOoh, I love this one! I'm going to do it with one of my classes next week!!!
ReplyDelete