11.17.2011

6th Grade: Frank Stella Protractor Series

We've been studying Frank Stella's Protractor Series.  After learning about the artist and analyzing his work through a PowerPoint, students began drawing their own designs using a pencil, protractor, and ruler.  Next day, students outlined their design with sharpie, and started coloring with colored pencil.  I had several students tell me this was the most favorite project they've ever done... they are easy to please! Some of their design are very mathematical.













8 comments:

  1. Wow, these are gorgeous! How much time did your students spend on these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I love using protractors and getting the kids comfortable with them is paramount! The overlapping is lovely yet instructive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I have been teaching high school art for nine years and I was just transferred to elementary. I teach fifth and sixth 5 days and first through fourth one day out of the cycle! I am always looking for new ideas that kids of all abilities can enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are terrific! Definitely doing this one :) Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this great and motivational resource!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this motivational post! Looking forward to using it with my class

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to know what kind of markers were used

    ReplyDelete